Stuff the Bus began in 2011 in response to a critical need to help restock the shelves of local food pantries after the holidays. This collaborative program is a partnership between Fairfax County Government and local nonprofits. Now in its 10th year, Stuff the Bus continues to support food assistance efforts for families and households. Since inception, Stuff the Bus has collected over 220 tons of food to feed hungry people in Fairfax County.
The next Stuff the Bus food drive will take place on Saturday, October 9. Buses will be parked at locations throughout Fairfax County from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to collect nonperishable food donations for area food pantries.
See the complete list of food drop-off locations, what to put on your shopping list to donate, and tips for donating safely at Stuff the Bus.
Don’t forget to record this on your monthly timesheet, and submit them to RSVP Volunteer Specialist, Shannon White, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you plan to donate to the Stuff the Bus food drive, please consider giving items from the list below. Because the average size of a family seeking food assistance is four people, the sizes indicated are preferred to reduce food spoilage. Additionally, donating items that are high fiber, low sugar and low sodium not only feed hungry people but also contribute to their overall health and wellness.
- Cooking oil
- Corn Flour Maseca
- Bag (dry) beans, peas or lentils (16 oz.)
- Rice – brown or white (5 lbs. or smaller)
- Canned fruit in light syrup or juice (20 oz. or smaller)
- Healthy hot and cold cereal (42 oz. or smaller)
- Healthy snacks (e.g. raisins, granola bars)
- Canned tuna, salmon or chicken (15 oz. or smaller)
- Canned tomatoes – low sodium, no salt added (29 oz. or smaller)
- Soup – lower sodium (19 oz. or smaller)
- Canned pasta (16 oz. or smaller)
- Macaroni and cheese
- Peanut butter (40 oz. or smaller)
- Fruit jam (32 oz. or smaller)
- Instant potatoes (16 oz. or smaller)
- Pancake mix (32 oz. or smaller) and syrup
- Canned vegetables – low sodium, no salt added (29 oz. or smaller)
- Canned beans or peas (29 oz. or smaller)