Blood transfusions save lives every day.
Help the American Red Cross get blood to where it needs to be as a volunteer Transportation Specialist.
If the volunteer description below interests you, please reach out to RSVP Volunteer Specialist, Shannon White, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To safely transport blood from collection sites to the lab for processing and/or deliver blood or blood products to hospital customers.
- Transport blood from collection site to Red Cross laboratory
- Transport finished blood or blood products to hospital customers as routine or “stat” deliveries
- Pick up empty boxes from hospitals as necessary
- Deliver supplies to blood collection sites as needed
- Complete required paperwork and obtain signatures as necessary
- Communicate with Red Cross staff on feedback from customers or any urgent issues
- Drive in a safe and responsible manner as a representative of the American Red Cross
- Time Commitment
- Flexible hours. The minimum commitment is two shifts per month (any day of the week), each shift being 2-4 hours during daytime hours.
- Presently, early- to midafternoon weekday shifts are needed, as well as afternoon and early evening Saturday shifts.
- Need for assistance with hospital deliveries, at all hours, all days of the week. Departures from Mt. Hope at 5 a.m., 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 5 p.m., 9 p.m. and 12 a.m. midnight are all areas of consistent need. Local as well as DC/NOVA.
- Willingness to support the Red Cross mission, required.
- Valid state driver’s license and 3 years of licensed driving experience, required.
- Familiarity with geographic area and driving routes, required.
- Able to verify safe driving record (Note: An MVR check will be completed as a part of the interview process for this position), required.
- Current insurance and state registration if using personal vehicle, required.
- Ability to lift 45 lbs., required.
- Successful completion of American Red Cross Transportation Specialist Training and Defensive Driving course upon acceptance in position, required.
- Length of Appointment
Ongoing, at least 6 months.
- Red Cross Volunteer Orientation
- American Red Cross Defensive Driving Course
- Transportation Specialist Guidebook Training
- Volunteer Connection scheduling training and tutorial
- On the job training
Don’t forget to reach out to RSVP Volunteer Specialist, Shannon White, at email@example.com if this volunteer opportunity interests you.