If you are volunteering to support RSVP partner the Northern Virginia Senior Olympics this September, you are going to be seeing a lot of RSVP volunteer Ken Kozloff.
Ken is scheduled to manage our volunteers at the NVSO’s opening day and track events in Arlington. He will be doing the same thing at Falls Church High School for the NVSO field events and then in Loudoun County for the NVSO swimming championships.
Ken, an RSVP Northern Virginia engagement leader, has a very straightforward approach – he wants to make sure all of our volunteers are prepared for their assignments and are comfortable in that day’s roles, and most importantly, that they are going to have fun.
Yesterday, at our RSVP monthly group service project at Food For Others, four of our engagement leaders took part, Shelley Brosnan, Rose Alston, Lou Coglianese and Deidre Sexton. There were 18 volunteers (shown in the group photo at top of post) in all.
RSVP engagement leaders fill many roles from managing volunteers at larger events to staffing outreach tables at fairs and festivals. They give inspiring talks to prospective volunteers, and thanks to a new program our engagement leaders forum conceived, they are partnering with new recruits to make sure our newest RSVP’ers stay engaged.
“Our engagement leaders are indispensable,” says Carly Hubicki, RSVP volunteer specialist. “Thanks to their help, we are able to expand the reach of our program to a much wider audience.”
Carly is currently seeking new engagement leaders! If you are interested in becoming part of this dynamic team of volunteer leaders, please contact Carly at 703-403-5360 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find a complete engagement leader description role:
Impact: RSVP Engagement Leaders help build the volunteer capacity in Northern Virginia by encouraging individuals ages 55+ to share their skills, talents, and experience. By growing the RSVP community, non-profits and public agencies have the resources to increase, enhance, and/or expand their abilities to address local needs. This group is instrumental in creating an effective, sustainable RSVP program in Northern Virginia. With your help, we are able to extend the visibility of RSVP-NV and engage more 55+ individuals in service.
Position Overview: RSVP Engagement Leaders go above and beyond the responsibilities of the typical RSVP volunteer. They represent RSVP-Northern Virginia and the local volunteer centers (Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax) at community events, volunteer fairs, and service projects. As ambassadors for community service, RSVP Engagement Leaders promote meaningful opportunities for individuals ages 55+ to get involved.
- Attend at least two orientations per year
- Attend at least two outreach opportunities per year where you engage prospective volunteers and provide information and resources about how to get involved with RSVP
- Be enthusiastic about your personal connection to community service, particularly through RSVP
- Lead at least two monthly group service projects per year
- Assist the Volunteer Specialist by providing information following outreach opportunities and/or group service projects (ex. prospective volunteers’ info, sign in sheets, number of people attended, etc.)
- Attend at least two Engagement Leader meetings per year to share feedback and ideas for increasing community awareness and volunteer engagement
Orientations, community outreach events and group service projects are held throughout Fairfax County, Arlington County, and the City of Alexandria. The RSVP Volunteer Specialist will email the details of all the events as they are scheduled to see who can attend on a first come first serve basis.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Must be an active volunteer for RSVP-Northern Virginia for at least one month having attended one orientation, one group service project, and submitted one timesheet
o Regularly volunteering with one of our partnering organizations and submitting hours
o Attended one group service project and one outreach event shadowing a current Engagement Leader
- Reliable and organized
- Friendly and charismatic
- Stellar verbal communication skills
- Passionate about community service
- Able to act in a professional manner
- Individuals should have their own mode of transportation (metro, car, etc.)
Training & Ongoing Support:
RSVP Engagement Leaders must attend a one-time training with the Volunteer Specialist before leading an outreach opportunity or group service project. Ongoing support will be provided by the RSVP Volunteer Specialist.
- Share your passion for service in a way that will empower and inspire others to get involved
- Increase the number of 55+ individuals who are making a difference in our community
- Influence the RSVP program with your feedback and insights
- Exclusive gatherings with other RSVP Engagement Leaders
- Cool swag to show off your RSVP spirit!
- Opportunity for growth in new leadership roles
- RSVP member benefits:
o Active, healthy lifestyle
o Free accident and liability insurance while serving
o Optional meal and mileage reimbursement
o Social and recognition events
For more information about becoming an RSVP Engagement Leader, contact Carly Hubicki, RSVP Volunteer Specialist at email@example.com or (703)403-5360.
More about RSVP Northern Virginia
RSVP Northern Virginia, the largest volunteer group for seniors and retirees in the region, offers more than 200 meaningful opportunities that include helping seniors age in place, assisting local veterans, and helping prepare communities for disasters. RSVP also recruits volunteers for various community events including the Northern Virginia Senior Olympics.
RSVP volunteers enjoy flexible schedules, free accident and liability insurance while serving, optional mileage and meal reimbursement and are invited to volunteer group projects and social gatherings.
To sign up for an upcoming free RSVP seminar on senior volunteering please email RSVP volunteer specialist Carly Hubicki at firstname.lastname@example.org or call RSVP at 703-403-5360.
To learn more about RSVP, please visit www.rsvpnova.org. RSVP Northern Virginia is program of Volunteer Fairfax, Volunteer Arlington and Volunteer Alexandria.